Friday, November 19, 2010

Kenya... How did we get here

Man the time has flown by.  It has been almost 2 years since Erica first told me she was applying for the Foreign Service.  Now we are in our new home in Africa.

But let me back up a bit.  i know all you want to know about are the lions & elephants, but I want to remember the process.  As we have only been here two days, I don't have much to report about Nairobi.
Just to avoid boring you all I will just go over the last two months.  Erica was sent to Washington DC to begin training in September.  I was about a month behind driving cross country and arriving on Oct 16th.  From there we had a month before we were to be shipped out.  I was thinking 'It's party time', back in DC with all of my friends.  No job and nothing to do except for going to the Smithsonian... WRONG.  Little did I know Erica had three little tasks for me to complete in that months time... Buy a car (right hand drive) to be imported into Kenya, arrange all our worldly goods to be shipped, and figure out how to ship 2 cats to Africa (toughest one of them all).  Without going into the long story...  household goods are on the way, car is ordered (Honda CR-V), and cats are safely with us (after over 18 hours in the guts of a plane, poor cats).

Aside from my tasks I also had to get my run of vaccinations and because I couldn't find any previous  records meant I had a total of 10 shots for various diseases... ouch.
Even though there was a world wind of activity, Erica & I still managed to hang out with friends, visit parents and even be tourists again our old home town.

And then off we went on nov 16th.  Two 8 hour flights with a 3 hour stop in Amsterdam.  We are two days into our adventure and I have not been able to get out much, just a few trips to the local store (I'll explain why in next post).

As jet lag still has a firm grasp on me i will end this entry.  i promise the next will actually have stuff about Kenya in it.  Next installment will include first impressions, our ridiculously large house and how I see it so far.  Bye for now.

1 comment:

  1. Ridiculously large house huh? Sounds like you have plenty of room for visitors then! Hope you get all settled in soon so we can hear more about it all!

    ReplyDelete